Situational influences are "temporary conditions that impact consumer behavior" (Class Slides, Chapter 11, 6). In other words, there are many different elements that can impact the buying behavior of a fan at Comerica Park. These elements include the time, physical and social surroundings, and the purchase reason (Class Slides, Chapter 11, 6). To demonstrate the effects, I'll illustrate some common ballpark qualities that positively impact fan purchases. Naturally for ballparks, each of the following qualities will be affective ones, meaning that they emphasize "a unique environment, exciting decor, friendly employees, and, in general, the feelings experienced in a retail place." (Babin/Harris, 223).
First, the odor of hot dogs and mustard is noticeable before fans even get their tickets scanned and enter the ballpark (Mustard has a stronger smell than ketchup, yes, but it is also much more prevalent in ballparks crowded with patriotic Americans intending not to disgrace their country by plopping pasty tomatoes on a delicious frank). Imagine a hungry businessman who just left work in time for the first pitch. He could grab a bite nearby, but he already smells the intoxicating scent of ballpark foods from within a quarter mile, and the thought of eating a taco at the nearest Mexican restaurant will not cross his mind.
Second, the noise of the crowds and the announcer will fire up any fan to root on his team. At Comerica Park, when they score, a "roar" is played through the loudspeakers. Fans then feel a great sense of pride in their team, causing them to cheer loudly and feed off one another. Without realizing it, a lot of fans, including me, will purchase Tiger merchandise to both show their pride and blend in with the crowd.
Third, the weather can greatly impact fan purchases. Comerica Park is an outdoor ballpark so fans feel the elements of the weather on a game-by-game basis. Coming up, the Tigers will open their season in early April when temperatures can linger in the low 40's. You don't have to experience a three-hour ballgame in the cold to predict that you would be more likely to purchase hot chocolate or coffee. Oppositely, on day games in the middle of August, the temperature can reach almost 100 degrees. You can bet that on days like these fans are more willing to purchase cold pop and lemonade.
Ultimately, going to a ballgame is full of situational influences. I highlighted just the affective qualities of the physical surroundings of Comerica Park, but there are countless other influences that impact fan buying behavior. I can guarantee you will feel these influences at the next ballgame you attend.



Hey Jack,
ReplyDeleteVery interesting blog. I am also a huge baseball fan so I agree with you completely on the situational influences that affect consumer behavior at Major League Baseball games. However, my team is the Cincinnati Reds, we have been season tickets for my entire life and one thing that I have started to notice as I visit other stadiums is that each stadium offers products or food that are unique to that area. Whether it be chili in Cincinnati, Cheesesteaks in Philly, or Rocky Mountain Oysters in Denver I think the location of the stadium also impacts what consumers purchase. In my opinion a lot of these purchases that come from situations in the ballpark are impulsive. Impulsive consumption are "consumption acts characterized by spontaneity, a diminished regard for consequences, and a need for self-fulfillment" (Babin and Harris 224). As customers try to experience the game, they end up buying things that they do not need.
Nice Blog.
Jack,
ReplyDeleteYet again this is a nice blog that you have written. It is so true that there are a ton of situational influences (Babin/Harris 217) that affect consumer behavior at the ballpark. As a Mets fan, something I like most about Citi Field is the amenities available throughout the concourse. For instance, there is a Shake Shack located in the center field concourse that usually draws long lines that even last throughout a couple innings. This is intriguing because people can go to a Shake Shack anywhere, but yet seem to increasingly do so during Mets games. This could be due to their social environment (Babin/Harris 27), as perhaps they are with friends who want to grab a bite to eat at the ballpark. This could also be due to the insert term here , as the Mets have not given a ton of reason to keep tuned into the game in recent years (although that will hopefully change this year), and thus there is not much (buyer’s regret or whatever the term is) to waiting in these long lines. Personally, I have never tried the Shake Shack at Citi Field, probably due to my value consciousness (Babin/Harris 107) as a consumer. Prices at Citi Field’s Shake Shack are significantly higher than prices at a normal Shake Shack.
The merchandise aspect is definitely another good illustration of situational influence that is present at a ballpark. I always love walking around the team store and seeing all Mets merchandise in one place, which you cannot get at Sports Authority or similar stores. Personally, the situational influence of the game's outcome will have an effect my mood (Babin/Harris 236) and thus affect whether I make any purchases. For instance, if I am at a game when the Mets are getting blown out, I am far less likely to buy something because I do not have the same emotional involvement (Babin/Harris 95) to remember my visit as if I were at a close game when the Mets eked out a key victory.
Jack,
ReplyDeleteI liked this post as well. I agree that a major aspect of your experience and consumer behavior as a spectator at a baseball game is based on situational influences (Babin/Harris 217). I believe that baseball is probably the slowest of the four major sports in America, baseball, hockey, football, and basketball. Due to this, I think that the down time leads to spectators consuming more at the ball park. There are more opportunities for you to run to the hot dog stand or grab an ice cream.
In addition, baseball is a hedonic endeavor (Babin/ Harris 14) because as a spectator because you generally go to the ball park for a social experience. Fans generally go to the games with friends, as well as eat, drink, and converse throughout the entire experience. Nice post, dude!